The National Service Scheme was started in 1969-70, which was celebrated as the birth centenary year ofMahatma Gandhi , the father of nation. The idea of creating social responsibilities among students and youths was originated by Mahatmaji during the period of national liberation movements.
His suggestion was that first duty of students should be not to treat the period of study as one of the opportunities for indulgence in intellectual luxury but for preparing themselves for dedication in services, and by that to uplift the life of villagers to a higher material and moral level.
The Motto of NSS "Not Me But You", reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students develop appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration to '/other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS is well doctrined in this motto, which underlines/on the belief that the welfare .of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society on the whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
NSS at Milliya
The college initiated NSS in 1994. Our college runs two units of NSS, with intake capacity of 200 volunteers. The unit arranges regular NSS camps at various locations as decided by the advisory committee. The theme for these camps are based on the theme laid by the University NSS.
- Mr. Durrani Shafa M. Khan (Dept. of Botany)
- Mr. Saudagar Farooque (Dept. of Physical Education)
The college promotes the participation of students and faculty in extension activities through NSS unit of the college. To promote the students participation in these activities the Principal, vice Principal and the NSS programme officer present the small briefing about the different activities to be conducted during the academic year. The senior students committed to the NSS unit go class to class and speak about the importance of the activities and share their experiences and benefits with junior students. This helps the fresher to understand the importance of the services offered by the NSS unit and its activities so they approach to the NSS programme officer to register their names.
The college promotes participation of students in the activities conducted by NSS through felicitation. Students are honored as Best Volunteer. They are given certificates and mementos.
The college organizes various outreach programmes and community services through NSS unit of the college.
- In 2004- 2005 the NSS unit camped at the Malpuri Village and the volunteers took a mission of “Jalsaksharta va Jalsandharna” (Water literacy and Water harvesting) and volunteers dug a well 20x10” there.
- The college arranged “Roza Iftar” wherein personalities of different religion were invited.
- A rally was organized to collect the relief fund for the “Tsunami Victims”
- In 2005- 2006 the NSS unit camped at Khamkheda Village, under the motto of “Disaster Management and Water Awareness”
- NSS volunteers at Khamkheda dug 4x4 and 5 feet pits( total 27pits) substituting the toilet tanks, as during those days Hagandari Mukt Village Scheme was promoted by the Maharashtra Government.
- The NSS volunteers during the camp cleaned the roads and places of worship (Masques, Temples and shrines).
- A rally was organized to make the villagers aware of the life – threatening AIDS.
- An interactive meeting “Woman’s Health and Care” was organized especially for girls; Dr. Shabana Sajed Baig was invited with whom the girls participants freely interacted on various issues related to the health and care.
- In 2006 Blood Group Determination Camp was organized, 150 students participated in the event. A directory showing the details of the donors students and their blood groups, addresses was prepared. The copies of directory were distributed among some social workers so that they can approach the doner (s) whenever needed.
- Anti Dowary Campaign was made by arranging the lectures.
- The Blood Donation camp was organized; the students as well as the teachers have donated blood. This camp was marked by the blood donation by girls students.
- The NSS unit organized the Camp at Naigoan with the Motto “Healthy Youth for Healthy India. During camp different lectures were arranged on the different topics AIDS, Health and Diets, General Health Addiction and its Disadvantages, National Integration, Water awareness and Tree Plantation.
- A one day workshop of ‘NSS programme officers of Beed city’ was organized where S.H. Sarkate, District co- ordinator was the resource person.
- In year 2007 – 2008 on eve of Independence Day, college observed Tree Plantation in the college campus.
- The Blood donation camp and Blood Group Determination camp were arranged.
- Ten days Camp was held at Gandhinagar, with same motto as “Healthy Youth for Healthy India.
- NSS volunteers made a survey to find out the children who are deprived of education and report was prepared and handed over to the responsible social workers so that they would take necessary initiative and request the administration to establish ‘Balwadis’ in that area.
- On 2/10/2007 National Integration Day was organized, Prof Shaikh Najmuddin enlightened the students gathering on the need of national integration.
- In 2008 the usual activities such as Blood donation camp, Blood group determination camp, Roza Iftar were arranged.
- On the eve birth anniversary of Late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi“ Sadhbavana Diwas” was observed , the chief guests Siddiqui Irfan and Rehanullah enlightened the students on Sadbhavana (good will).
- NSS camp was conducted at a Dahiphal Village, during the camp, NSS volunteers did the following services and activities :
- Educational Survey
- Cleaning Streets
- Tree Plantation
- Disaster Management
- Health awareness rallies and programmes
- Cultural activities
- Discussion with the villages on various issues
- On the 29 Sep. 2008, on the eve of ‘International Literacy Day’ the college organized ‘Elocution Competition’ on the importance of education.
- On The eve of Human Right Day, a programme on ‘Providing legal help to the needy, was organized , Hon’ble Dist Judge, Dalvi S.V. Hon’ble Civil judge, Kuber K.V., Adv Azher Ali and Adv Jagtap were invited and these guests enlightened the students on the issue.
- International Literacy day was celebrated.
- The NSS volunteers involved in Gunvatta Vikas Rally which was against malpractice in examinations.
- In 2009 - 2010, there was problem of Swine flue in the country, the NSS volunteers prepared Hording Banners showing how to prevent swine flue and different lectures were conducted.
- Two girls NSS volunteers, Suchita Dharmadhikari and Landge Sangita attended the Yuti Kaushalaya Vikas Shibir.
- In 2010 – 2011, the NSS camp was held at the Malapuri village with mission Healthy Youth for Healthy India.
- In 2011 the NSS unit celebrated the International Youth Day.